The Cowichan Valley School District “encourages the community’s use of School District property and facilities for educational, recreational, cultural and civic programs and events.”
Cowichan Valley School District’s Policy #2440 Use of School Facilities clearly outlines the categories of use, and the administration and regulation of the use of the facilities.
- Policy 2440(PDF)
Our facilities are not rented out on non-instructional days (ie. Professional Development Day, Statuatory Holidays etc.) or during District Closures like Spring Break or Summer Holidays.
Rentals are processed at:
School District #79 Operations Office
2557 Beverly Street
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday – Friday
(out of office 12:30 am-1:30 pm daily)
Direct Phone: 250-748-0321 ext 257
Operations Department: 250-748-0338
How to Proceed with a Booking:
1. A “Request/Contract for use of School Facilities” form must be completed in full and submitted to the Operations Department by email, fax, or in person. Rentals will not be considered approved until authorized by the Rental Coordinator.
The contract can be printed from the above link or can be picked up from the Operations office or faxed by request.
2. Proof of $2,000,000 liability insurance must be provided.
3. Rental, and all other applicable fees, must be paid in full, in advance unless otherwise approved by the School District. Rental rates vary depending on the user group. The rental rate sheet below outlines our current rate structure. Note: Theatre usage rates at Quamichan, Mt. Prevost, and George Bonner are currently being reviewed and will not be charged out at Multi-Purpose Room rates.
- Rental Rates – 2015(PDF)
Payments can be made by personal cheque or cash only to the Rentals Coordinator at the Operations Department or to the School Board Office Receptionist. Cheques should be made out to School District #79.
1. What times are facilities available?
Gym rental start times vary, but the earliest start time is 5:00 pm. If any facility covered by the Contract is required for School District purposes for all or part of the same time covered by the Contract, the Renter will make the facility available to the School District.
2. Will I need a key to get into the building?
School District Custodians work evening shifts and have up to date facilities usage calendars. They will meet the group representative at the main entrance doors to let them in.
Alexander Elementary has a detached gym so keys may be issued for this site. Keys can be picked up from the Operations Department and a $40 deposit must be placed.
3. Can I rent on a weekend?
Yes, we rent our facilities on weekends. Our policy states that a School District employee must be on the premises so user groups are financially responsible for employee call-out charges for the supervision required.
4. Can we host an event with alcohol?
No. Alcoholic Beverages are prohibited anywhere on School District property as indicated by Cowichan Valley School District’s Policy #2410 Liquor Free Buildings and Grounds.
5. Do you have tables and/or chairs we can use?
The School District has tables and chairs available for rent depending on availability at the time of request. Service charges for set-up/take-down may apply.